26. Criteria #1: Scale of Event
Please select the one answer that best reflects the expected participant group for your event. Note that national and international events will be requested to provide a registration report indicating home towns of participants as part of your post event report.
The event will have international participants that will qualify for one of the following:
- at least 30% of the participating athletes must be from outside Canada with a minimum of 4 nations, including Canada, participating
- at least 40% of the participating athletes must be from outside Canada with a minimum of 3 nations, including Canada, participating
- at least 50% of the participating athletes must be from outside Canada with a minimum of 2 nations, including Canada, participating
The event participants will come from across Canada that will qualify for one of the following:
- at least 30% of the participating athletes must be from outside BC with a minimum of 4 provinces/territories, including BC, participating
- at least 40% of the participating athletes must be from outside BC with a minimum of 3 provinces/territories, including BC, participating
- at least 50% of the participating athletes must be from outside BC with a minimum of 2 provinces/territories, including BC, participating
The event participants will mostly come from across BC (i.e. Provincial Championship, tournament with a small number of participants from another province or country)
75% or more of the event’s participants reside within the boundaries from (and including) Richmond to Abbotsford, Squamish and Bellingham
27. Criteria #2: Ability to leave a legacy in Richmond
The City of Richmond and our local sport clubs have greatly benefited from legacies developed by hosting sporting events of all sizes. A legacy is defined as “anything handed down from the past” and can be accomplished through a number of ways including, but not limited to:
- Large events often require the purchase of sport specific or event equipment that can be given free of charge or at a significant discount post event to a local club or facility for use by the community
- A financial legacy can be seen through the creation of grants or trust funds or through the donation to a Richmond based non-profit society
- Organizing committees and onsite event volunteers gain experience and develop capacity that can be valuable for securing future events
- Organizing a coaching, officiating, or other appropriate clinic in conjunction with the event that local sport clubs are eligible to register for
- The ability to utilize national or world elite athletes in outreach to the local athletes/coaches through school/team visitations, clinics or active participation
- The opportunity for club organizations to promote their sport and/or have access to secure additional memberships from the spectators attending the event leads to the overall growth of the sport
Please explain all manners of how your event is planning to leave a legacy to the community of Richmond.
28. Criteria #3: Potential to generate measurable economic impact and tourism benefits
a) Other than by staying in a hotel and using a local facility for your event, please outline all the ways in which your event will be positively impacting City of Richmond businesses. Some examples are holding a banquet for all participants in a Richmond facility, renting space for team building or social activities, pre-booking a planned visit to a Richmond tourist attraction, etc.
Please be as specific as possible where known (i.e. provide name of locations, tourist attraction, etc)
b) For events that are expecting over 450 room nights, in order to receive the highest rating in this category, you must be willing to conduct and share the results with Richmond Sport Hosting of a Sport Tourism Economic Assessment Model (STEAM) economic impact assessment which will require additional volunteers (between 2-5) who will engage with your participants and spectators to complete a short survey. The RSH staff will work with the event organizer in advance to explain and ensure the process is fully understood and accessible.
If your event is expecting over 450 room nights, would you be willing to conduct a STEAM assessment of your event? Please only indicate yes if you are able to commit to this endeavour.
29. Criteria #4: Opportunity for continuation of this event or hosting potential for future new events
a) Is this an event that occurs on a regular cycle (annual, bi-annual, quadrennial, etc)in the City of Richmond each time?